RULES AND LEGISLATION
flyer river cruises on the river Scheldt
Three authorities ensure that shipping on the River Scheldt proceeds smoothly and safely:
- The Common Nautical Authority takes care of traffic management and the related admission policy.
- Traffic centres have the overall traffic image in the Common Nautical Management (CNM) area and ensure the efficient passage of traffic to and from the ports;
- Seagoing ships have a pilot on board as an adviser.
The observance of specific rules for inland passenger ships helps greatly to increase safety in this area:
- knowledge of the prevailing radio procedures;
- use of Dutch or English as the working language;
- obligatory announcement of the number of passengers
on board upon entry into the CNM area;
- sailing permitted up to the maximum permitted wave
height of 1.5 metres;
- sailing is permitted from a minimum visibility of 1000
Failure to observe these regulations is a criminal act which
can result in:
- a prohibition on the continuation of the trip;
- an obligation to have a pilot on board at the expense
of the shipping company.
binnenvaartpassagiersschepen NL EN.pdf
binnenvaartpassagiersschepen FR DT.pdf
new application form inbound- outbound navigation
developed by ALSIC